It’s on. It’s up. It’s http://mattm.muxtape.com/
Bit of a bummer that Muxtape crapped out a day after I sorted out the new one. Anyway, re-upped, with a couple new songs. The new NERD track is basically the other new NERD track just a little faster, but I like Pharrell talking about being a little teapot. The Lidell remix on the Nu Shooz tip is nice, too.
Setsunai. Maybe best translated as “sentimental,” but like a lot of Japanese words, there’s a little more to it that’s hard to put into English. A friend once tried to explain it as wanting to go back to the way something once was, but knowing you can’t.
So I changed up the Muxtape. And that’s the theme. A.K.A. Songs I Love But Sometimes Can’t Really Listen To All The Way Through.
1. Just because it’s an ill way to start a mixtape, er, muxtape. Did they redo this theme song for the remake? Is the remake already cancelled?
2. I dig this, but this is seriously the kind of music only French people can pull off. One of the dudes from Daft Punk producing. Latter half of the disc has lots of female moaning.
3. I put off listening to the Adele record for quite a while, only to listen to almost nothing but last month. Great mix of influences; the vocal stylings are almost Jeff Buckley-esque in certain passages on the first few tracks.
4. I actually paid for this record! The blue-eyed soul meets yacht rock thing is spectacular. The Netherlands and Denmark have it going on the last few years.
5. Nice little stomper from a well-done record. Would’ve liked to hear the shelved Dangermouse/Ike Turner sessions this partnership started from, though.
6. Stop fronting, fellas. There’s nothing wrong in calling it a go-go record.
7. New New York neo-disco. I can finally semi-appreciate Antony, but still like the instrumentals the best.
8. Dangermouse production again, I believe. Love the kinda Happy Mondays doing U2 vibe.
9. For the Ladies and the Gentlemen. Finished soon, hopefully.
10. In the Sade discog, Lover’s Rock (the album) doesn’t really stick out to me, but I kind of rediscovered it a month or two back (when you’re coming home from work at 5 in the morning, it’s almost Sade or nothing on the music tip). This track is especially lovely.
11. Nice, unexpected moment off the new one.
12. One of my all-time favorites; ever since some diamond commercial from the pre-Fugee days. 2:38 mark gets me every time. Magic.